Canadian Sculling Marathon
Sunday, August 27, 2017 – FULL (42 km) and HALF (21 km) marathons
An endurance challenge for scullers
Since 2005, the rowing section of the Ottawa New Edinburgh Club (ONEC) has organized an annual distance challenge using touring, open-water and coastal shells on the Ottawa River: the Canadian Sculling Marathon (CSM). Inspired by the world-renowned Canadian Ski Marathon, it stresses participation, fitness, endurance and fun!
A distance event under the banner of the Ontario Adventure Rowing Association, the CSM offers a choice of a full marathon (42 km) or a half marathon (21 km). The scenery along both routes is as spectacular as it is varied: you’ll see some of the capital’s most famous landmarks, shoreline recreational pathways, and protected wetlands and forested areas.
Pick up your CSM kit on Saturday evening at the historic ONEC boathouse, and meet other CSM participants over drinks and snacks on our deck overlooking the Ottawa River. On Sunday, following the events and medal ceremonies, join us for a BBQ lunch at the boathouse. All participants will receive special CSM medals and T-shirts commemorating Canada’s 150th birthday.
10 K OPEN— Saturday, August 26, 2017
The 10 K Open is a ‘friendly’ event primarily for ONEC members, and all types of rowing shells are allowed. New for 2017: No registration fee! More information on the event will be available here.
CSM Results (2006-2017)
CSM Results 2017
- Kevin Mahoney – 3:47
- Hanlan quad – Shawna Pereira, Joanna Kolakowska, Shelagh Baker, Kirsten Ryan, Liane Bell (ONEC) – 4:13
- ONEC quad – Alistair Hensler, Norma Strachan, Jane Wilson, Karin Germann, Susan Smith – 4:32
- Giusseppe Lund (Emden) – 1:49:05
- ONEC quad – Roxanne Deevey, Rosana Biondo (Mexico), John Schofield, Carl Shaver, Louise Binette – 1:49:15
- Hanlan quad – Geoffrey Church, Kenny Tsang, Tracy McKenzie, Mathieu Dubuc, Joan Robertson (ONEC) – 1:53:21
- Hanlan quad – Maureen Williams, Sarah Ward-Macks, Pete Pennefather, Petra U, Gillian Williamson (ONEC) – 2:04:36
- Bern Rochon – 2:11:42
- Hanlan double – Cynthia Ward, Idilko Jurina Cleary – 2:16:59
- Rob James – 2:31:50
- Durham double – Homam Michaels, Julie-Anne – 2:50:45
- Guissieppe Lund – 46:42
- Sherry Dolan & John Moore – 47:00
- Roxanne Deevy & Rosana Biondo – 49:32
- Christa Ramonat – 51:02
- John Spika – 56:40
- Carl Shaver – 59:38
- Odyssey Quad – Louise Binette, Meryl Oliver, Betty WardIsla Paterson, Bridgit Knecht – 59:52
- Odawa Quad – Mary Clark, Debbie Reinhart, Christine BloghHelena Proszanski, Tom Fottinger – 1:04:30
- Sheila Perry – 1:11:22
- Mark Feldstein – 1:20:42
The winner of this year’s Hensler cup goes to both Hanlan and ONEC. We wish to congratulate all crews who participated in this year’s events, and we look forward to seeing you at ONEC next year!