Club social paddles will be held on Wednesday nights and Saturdays (and Saturday sessions from 10:30am to 2:30pm could include a picnic or BBQ when Public Health regulations allow).
We will hold skills clinics on Tuesday nights in July and August with guest Paddle Canada certified instructors (at additional cost of about $50 per night, with a 10% discount for members).
Currently we have two Paddle Canada (P.C.) courses planned for the end of June (at discounted cost to members), and will schedule more in July and August according to demand:
- Evenings of Tues. June 29thand Wed. 30th: Intro to Paddling at ONEC (Basic Level P. C. Certification over two 4 hour evening sessions, suitable for beginners)
- Daytimes of Tues. June 29thand Wed. 30th: Level 1 Paddle Canada Certification course over two full days, to learn more advanced rescue and paddling skills
These Paddle Canada courses and the Tuesday evening clinics will be taught by instructors from Nanook Expeditions, an Ottawa area company employing local Paddle Canada certified staff.
Big Canoe courses will not be offered in 2021 due to social distancing restrictions.
Max Finkelstein’s Introduction to Big Canoe Paddling Course
Max Finkelstein is a renowned author and canoeist who has paddled from sea to sea in Canada and from Ottawa to Washington. Max Finkelstein had given Paddle Canada ‘Big Canoe’ instruction since 2017.
What you’ll learn
- Basic paddle strokes so that you can manoeuvre a big canoe from the bow, stern, and middle positions.
- How to have fun paddling a big canoe – forwards, backwards, sideways, racing,
- You can qualify for a Paddle Canada Introductory or Intermediate Big Canoe certificate – an additional surcharge is payable to Max.
If offered, the registration form can be found on: www.onec.ca/membership/forms.